2.15.2011

Surroundthings

"eat-in chicken kitchen"

Tchotchke (Typically pronounced "CHACH-kee") are small toys, gewgaws, knickknacks, baubles, lagniappes, trinkets, or kitsch. The term has a connotation of worthlessness sentiment or disposability, comfort, and happiness, as well as tackiness.
I think it's time to rewrite the Wiki's definition of "tchotchke", and in the meantime, I have added the word gewgaws to the cluttered word bank section of my cerebrum. 

My tchotchkes are objects I take pride in.  Typically, they are extremely cheap (if not free), but became invaluable additions to my environment and represent an extension of my personality.  Has this become a theme?? Sometimes they are personified (it's not a secret anymore), but mostly, they are items on display wherever I may dwell.  Most make it through the years, while others may meet a tragic accidental demise (by human or by dog).  Nevertheless, these are my gewgaws.... more than just "stuff".


the sunny room



 

5 comments:

  1. Agreed completely. Tired of people trying to make me get rid of my "clutter." I've been a pack rat my whole life. When I'm offered a spot on HOARDERS is when you can intervene. Hooray for tchotchkes!!! And perfect that you should post this cause I just handed in my proposal for my Photo3 final project...I'll be photographing my "tchotchkes" and things that give me the feeling of "home" <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hoarding results in collecting of items (hazardous or not) that prevent one from normal life activities. I have always loved to collect things, but over the years, I find great pleasure in purging and simplifying my belongings. It automatically gives the items you've decided to keep a higher value.

    When you are confined to one room, designated as your own for so many years (i.e. our parents home), it's easy to collect items that may/may not be of use to you. Treasures stashed in closets/cabinets/under the bed.. you name it. Perhaps, that's why it all starts there? The more space acquired over time will (hopefully) result into the decision to display, re-purpose, recycle, or dispose of certain items.

    It's funny that this topic came up. I found a journal from 2006 which chronicled my struggle with the change of leaving my room... and what the hell was I going to do with all my stuff??? My memories. (perhaps I'll post that later)

    I am a firm believer in visitation of items that give us that "lovey dovey" feeling! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jess, I love how you write! Always so descriptive & fun to read. Keep it coming!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Kim!!!! My friends are my inspiration :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have definitely been a collector of tchotchkes for as long as I can remember. It's always given your living spaces much more character!

    ReplyDelete