2.16.2011

The Most Wintery Winter

I visited the hair salon about a month ago and was not only treated to a few long hours chemically assaulting my mane, but I also walked away with this whimsy declaration provided by a neighboring salon client: "This is one of the most wintery winters we've ever had".  I'm not sure if this random thought was targeted towards me or someone else (for my peripheral vision was blocked by an aluminum helmet), but still, I couldn't help but snicker at her discernible observation so feebly stated.  First of all, she had the audacity to take her intended noun and describe it as its own adjective!  Secondly, who is the we she's referring to?  Humans?  The voices in her head? We don't "have" seasons... seasons have us!  Looking as if she were a woman in her 60s, I thought, "Surely, you must have experienced other "wintery winters" in your lifetime, unless of course, you once inhabited a place of warmer climate for a large portion of your life".  But for some reason, however, a statement as moronic as that, has stuck with me.  It was one of the proclamationiest proclamations I have ever heard!  Of course, my cynicism faded a bit, for it has been an obnoxious winter.  Isn't it funny that small-talk mini topics consist of mostly blurps about the weather, whether we find it to be behaving acceptably or not?  Weather is something humans cannot control (but can aggravate) hence the consistent tantrums we have when precipitation (in any form) ruins our plans.  Snow is charming at first and many people cannot help but be captivated by its beauty, but after a while, it's basically a pain in the ass.  Relax and enjoy it instead...and with that, I am going to dedicate a few future blogs to suggested activities that have kept me feeling warm and with purpose during this merciless season.

1 comment:

  1. "We don't "have" seasons... seasons have us!" Love it- ain't that the truth!

    ReplyDelete